Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Finally Got One!

Sorry, I know it has been a few days. I wanted to be regular at this, but I just spent over an hour at the Apple Store learning that my computer is dying. Thankfully a slow death, so I hopefully will be able to back up all of my important data like over 5000 songs and over 7000 pictures. Scary isn't it.

Well I have been trying to get this post out because I am so excited that I finally got some pictures of one of the hawks that hovers around here. Here he is ...



Isn't he such an amazingly cool looking bird! He wasn't very happy with me taking his picture. As I was driving home from 'Wegmans' (yes that is my FAVORITE grocery store on the planet!) I kept my eye up in the trees when I reached his turf. Oh, I have seen him many a time, soaring thru the sky. I actually have been stalking 3 different hawks, hoping to get some good shots. So I started carrying my camera with me. It paid off, cause there he was on the power line. Yeah I know it would have been cooler had he been in a tree, but what am I gonna do, I live in suburbia!

I pulled off on the side of the road, and started shooting. Then I got a little more daring and pulled up right across from him. I was nervous with the window open, cause he was giving me some scary looks. Finally he just let go of the wire and flew a few feet further away from me.




Oh I was so mad when that electrical line got in the way, but wow! I loved the red in his feathers, thus the name Red Tailed Hawk. He landed, I drove up ... took some more pictures, he flew again ... I followed and got this one ...

He started to land again, look at those claws! I am going to post these on my flickr site, if I can get to it. There you can click on the 'all sizes' button and view it close up. Nah, I know they are not the greatest pictures, but for my first try at shooting a hawk, I am a bit excited by the outcome.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Wow I hope you are able to salvage everything from your laptop before it expires!

Those bird photos are awesome, especially the last one!

Valerie said...

Thanks Holly for your comments. Luckily, my computer is hanging in there while I transfer everything to an external hard drive. I am very excited that the new computer I have, has a continuous back up feature to the external hard drive. If you take anything away from my site - remember to back up your important stuff. Computers always die at the wrong time. :)

MaryAnn said...

Wow Val, what a great shot of a hawk! They are amazing-looking birds, aren't they? Their talons alone are awe-inspiring and kinda scary.
You're getting really good at the photography thing!
See you tomorrow...
MaryAnn
PS Stupid computers...