Thursday, April 9, 2009

Flight 3407, It's Been Almost 2 Months

With the exception of 3 years in Virginia, all of my life I have lived near the Buffalo International Airport. For the last 11 years I have lived under the approach or landing path (depending on the weather) of the same airport.

I've always been completely amazed how such huge and heavy aircraft, stay a flight. I have always looked up in awe as they pass overhead. I've loved the sound and the power. I loved watching them approach thru our back window, hearing them overhead and then quickly disappearing from sight.

Personally, I hate to fly. When you experience turbulence, there is nothing you can hold on to, that makes you feel secure and safe. I can't believe it has been almost 2 months, since Flight 3407 dropped from the sky in Clarence Center. Much too close to our house. I thank God that many of the sounds of that night, especially the plane coming overhead, have dimmed in my mind, and I don't hear it over and over again.

The work at the site was completed so quickly, although when the weather is warmer, they have more restoration work to do such has planting grass and such for the people in the neighborhood whose lawns were destroyed by all of the heavy equipment and such, brought in to deal with the results of that horrific event.

Our lives have gone on. It is tragic to say. Although there are still moments during the day when I dwell on it and the magnitude of the loss for so many, things for my family have continued on in this 'new normal'. I hate the sound of the airplanes at night now.

There are two houses missing on Long Street. There is a billboard of sorts at the end of the road by the fire hall. There continue to be fund raisers to help the families and for the memorials. They still have road signs, saying the road is closed, but that doesn't stop people from coming to see what remains. On the weekend the traffic is noticeably heavier for our small community. The cars slow down and then turn around to go back. Our amazing first responders are still dealing with emotions and traumatic shock. The families of those who left this life are desperately missing their loved ones.

On the morning of Valentines Day, I walked out in my backyard. The tail of the plane was still huge from the rubble about 150 yards away. I walked back to the creek that runs right by the crash site before passing thru my yard. What I saw brought tears to my eyes. Ice had formed on all of the brush on either side of the creek. It looked like huge tears. I ran into the house and grabbed my camera and started taking pictures.

So many were so deeply affected by this tragedy. To me it looked like even nature was responding. The bible tells us in Luke 19:40 that if we don't praise God, the rocks will cry out in praise. If nature can praise, then nature can weep. That is what I concluded when I finally got the pictures on the computer.

Yes ... Even Nature Weeped for the many who left us on February 12, 2009.



8 comments:

Gerry Sell said...

Good morning, Valerie. I'm dropping by from Scott Thomas's water assignment. Your capture of the "dippers" along the stream evokes mourning very well, sorrow and beauty mingled. I always think of these as tiny ice candles. Perhaps they're always lit in memory. Who knows? The water moves on.

Scott Thomas Photography said...

Thank you for participating in my assignment and for sharing this moving post and photo.

kanniduba said...

Valerie, this is a stunning photo and a very moving post. I'm so glad I ventured over here from Scott's place. I will be back.

my2008blog said...

This is such a sad story, I do understand how difficult you find it to hear the airplanes now. Your photo is amazing, I´ve never seen anything like that before.

Preston said...

Sad story, beautiful and meaningful photo. I've viewed your blog and find it very enjoyable and welcoming.

nyenoona said...

Beautiful image and such a sad and tragic story. I've always seen it as crystal, and now I'm seeing it differently, tears weeping indeed.

Carsten said...

What a terrible experience.
And what an image. With your words in mind I can see the weeping nature.
I will enjoy more of your blog. Thanks for participating in the assignment, so I found you.

thedailyclick said...

I'm finally getting the chance to look through all the entries from Scott's assignment, and took the time to read your post about the plane crash, too, and could barely read the words through my tears. Such a sad story.
Your picture is beautiful.